Using a rice cooker is a simple and effective way to cook rice. Many rice cookers keep the rice warm after it’s cooked. There’s no need to watch the rice cooker since this appliance comes with an automatic timer that lets you know when the rice is ready.
Steps to making great rice in a rice cooker.
- Rinse the rice if necessary (some people want to make sure there are no pesticides or impurities in their rice.)
White rice sold in the United States is required to be enriched with powdered iron, niacin, thiamin, or folic acid; these vitamins and minerals are usually removed when the rice is washed or rinsed.
- Measure the rice with a cup and put it into your cooking pot. Different rice varieties have different ratios of rice to water, so check the packaging.
- Measure the water. If you don’t have specific instructions, you can use the following as a
White, long grain – 1 3/4 cups of water per 1 cup of rice (420 mL water per 240 mL rice)
White, medium grain – 1 1/2 cups of water per 1 cup of rice (360 mL water per 240 mL rice)
White, short grain – 1 1/4 cups of water per 1 cup of rice (300 mL water per 240 mL rice)
Brown, long grain – 2 1/4 cups of water per 1 cup of rice (520 mL water per 240 mL rice)
Sold as “parboiled” (not half-cooked at home) – 2 cups of water per 1 cup of rice
For Indian style rices like Basmati or Jasmine, less water is needed as a drier rice is desired, use no more than 1 1/2 cups of water per 1 cup of rice. Use only 1 to 1 if you washed the rice previously. It is ok to add bay leaves or cardamom pods directly to the rice cooker to enhance the flavor.
You can also substitute water for different kinds of stock (chicken or vegetable stock)
- Soak the rice for thirty minutes, if desired. (This can help reduce the cooking time and/or may make the rice stickier when cooked).
- Start the rice cooker and don’t lift the lid until the cooker signals that the rice is done cooking.
If you allow the rice to rest for 5-10 minutes after cooking, but not always required.
- Fluff the rice with a fork to release steam and break up clumps
- Serve and Eat!